Thursday, September 20, 2007

On the Road Again

It was about 10 something this morning when I hugged my sister, Sue, and said good-bye to her. I really enjoyed my visit - good food, lots of laughs, daily entertainment by the kitties, Piper and Archer, and a couple of shopping adventures.

I drove east on Highway 12 to Lodi. After stopping for gas, I decided to get an early lunch before getting on to I-5, South. The traffic was heavy all the way to Stockton. Sigh.

I stopped at Andersen's - the split pea soup place - just north of Los Banos. I parked the car. As I was walking toward the restaurant, I noticed a family with very little baby in a car seat. The man and a little girl were playing in a shady spot on the grass. The young woman got up and walked along side of me to the door. I smiled and said, "That's a very small baby." She said, "The baby is 3 weeks old." Then she told me they are on their way to Seattle to say good-bye to her sister who is dying. I saw the pain in her eyes. I said, "I'm sorry." She said, "Thank you." I didn't know what else to say. I felt sad.

After a few hours of driving I was back in my traveling groove. I was happy. I felt free. It seemed like I had been released from a cage. Why do I feel this way?

North of Bakersfield, I took Highway 46, East, then on to Highway 99, South. In Bakersfield I got on to Highway 58, which was a long winding road through the mountains. I did not enjoy sharing the road with many big rigs. Up. Down. Up. Down. Why is everyone driving so fast?

I checked into an Econo Lodge in Mohave, California. I brought a "take-out" meal - beans, rice, beef tamale, and cheese enchilada - back to the motel room. The food was not very good.

I am tired now. I drove around 350 or 360 miles today.

No comments: