Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Greetings from Ely, Nevada

Day 1 - Twin Falls, Idaho to Ely, NV - 263 miles

It was 1 PM when I left the house. Then I went to Costco for gas so I could start out with a full tank. Next I stopped at the Post Office where I found the state tax refund check in my box . I took it directly to the bank. I didn't want to take any chance on losing it or something. It was about 1:45 PM by then. Just north of Jackpot I heard ping, ping, ping. It was very tiny hail. It was really loud for its size. I stopped for gas in Wells but did not need all that much. I enjoyed the scenery - snowcapped mountains in the distance, interesting sky from dark to light. I saw a few snow flurries. Not much. The road was clear.
There were many RV's and campers heading north on Highway 93. I tried to read the license plates, but they were going to fast. It was easy to spot the Idaho tags with the broad horizontal bands of red, white, and blue. (It is easy to see where Idahoans are licensed on regular tags. We have 44 counties. The counties are listed alphabetically. If there is more than one county with the same beginning letter, then there is a number in front of it. Mine is 2T for Twin Falls. The number and letter come first, then a space, and the rest of the number for the individual. )I am sure some of those Snowbirds were going to Canada. I saw a couple of white and green tags, and one RV had a red maple leaf. I am sure those white and green tags were from Saskatchewan.
I have checked into the Ely Motel 6 about 5:40 PM or so. I gained an hour with the time change. I have stayed here before. There is snow on the ground and it is brrrrrrrrrrrr here. The elevation here is about 6400. It is only around 3400 in Twin Falls.
I brought plenty of food with me - some left over from Easter. So I won't have to spend any money today for food and probably tomorrow, also.

No comments: